I’ll admit, my interest in this tea was mostly because my Pakke’s family is from the section of Friesland that lies in The Netherlands. After tasting it I’m very glad that I decided to purchase it.

I’ve had this twice since my package from Upton tea came in yesterday. It is a very enjoyable tea with or without milk though I wish I had some cream so I could try it with it’s traditional presentation. The first infusion requires precisely 4 minutes, anything over and it starts getting quite bitter. If you go for a second infusion you can be much more lenient with the time, I forgot about it while dealing with my kids but even at 10 minutes there was no bitterness.

Boiling

I prefer loose-leaf teas but I do like to keep some tea bags around for travel. I prefer black teas (especially Yunnans), dark oolongs, and pu’erh. My #1 favorite is Jasmine Golden Yunnan from thepuriTea.com.

Most used pots:

12oz blue tetsubin (1.75-2.0 grams of leaf. teas steeped in this get a spoon-full of sugar)

10oz green tetsubin (1.55-1.65 grams of leaf. teas steeped in this get less than a spoon-full of sugar)

5oz gaiwan (4.0-4.15 grams of leaf. no sugar)

4oz gaiwan (2.5-3 grams of leaf. no sugar)

Bar Harbor, Maine, United States