drank Honey Pear by Golden Moon Tea

Golden Moon Sampler Tea #8:

A little story before I start. I was at the university book store trying (and failing) to buy my textbooks (they were out), when I noticed that one of the more prominent displays was a big table full of teapots and various kinds of Republic of Tea teas. Is tea in or something? Is it the trendy new hipster thing? Looks like it might be!

Anyway, I decided to check out the teapots, but they were BLAH – boring, mass-produced, and generally not anywhere NEAR Ivan’s league. Here’s hoping today’s trip to the thrift store gets me some results.

Before going OUT THERE (where the nasty evil sun is), I had to bolster myself with some nice sippable tea. I was kind of wary to try this because from the reviews it seems extremely polarizing – you either love it or you hate it, but I decided to take the plunge.

This tea smells exactly like it’s name, the two scents of honey and pear seem to be in a fight for dominance with now one, now the other achieving it. The actual tea came out more pear than anything else, which is good because I am not that huge of a fan of honey. Now the package says that this is a mixture of black tea and bee pollen, which I guess is where the floral undertaste I am getting comes in. The black tea is noticeably present, tempering the pear-ness, and the honey comes in at the end, mostly along with the floral taste.

All in all, the tea itself tastes quite nice, but it leaves a dry taste in my mouth that I don’t find particularly comfortable. I prefer not to need to go drink a glass of water after finishing my tea.

I’m a Pole who grew up in Texas, is currently a graduate student in California studying Japan. How’s THAT for random?

Being Polish, my family has always drunk a lot of tea, and I am no different. I may drink more tea than water. On the other hand, I can’t say that I’m very particular about it; I’m generally pretty careless with steeping times and water temperature and I don’t even have a proper teapot (mostly because the lid broke during the move to California ;_;).

I always drink my tea unsweetened and I only add milk in the case of the most egregiously chai-ish of chais. (not really a big fan of milk in general)

Given that so many of my entries seem to be about my morning tea, I felt I should add something here about me and mornings: I fail at mornings. I fail at them a LOT. Therefore I often also fail at proper tea making in the mornings.

Santa Barbara