drank Tippy Earl Grey by Golden Moon Tea

Golden Moon Sampler Tea #16
So, when I was reading the description on the sample packet, they referred to the “tips” in this tea as “buds” but, for some reason, at first I read it as “suds.” Obviously, I immediately did a double-take and corrected myself, but I think the whole soap idea stayed with me, because that is what I smelled when I opened this tea. Seriously. Soap. What is wrong with me?

The tea brewed up just fine, a darker red. On tasting it, however, I got…paper. Paper, water, and soap. What. As I drank further, I eventually isolated the paper down to the kind of peppery taste of the lavender. I got nothing about the soap though, I think it’s just imprinted on this tea now, which is a shame because…Earl Grey!

All while drinking this, I was unable to convince my brain that I was drinking tea and not papery dishwater. Oh Tippy Earl Grey, I want to love you, as I love most of your kind! But I don’t think it’s meant to be. Lavender is, apparently, just not my thing, and I have no idea what the hell kind of brain fart has made me unable to let go of the soap thing, but I think I’m not gonna be able to rid myself of it.

Rabs

Mmm…papery dishwater. “Ralphie! What happened to you son?!?!” “It was…the soap.”

__Morgana__

This sounds so delicious Ewa, I can’t wait to try mine. Lol.

~lauren.

I’m truly sympathetic – I hate having a bad tea-experience but – have to admit it, your post has me laughing, too!

Stephanie

I keep reading this as Tipsy Earl Grey!

~lauren.

OMGoodness – LOL- poor Charlie (i.e., Lord Grey) he’s turning over in his grave when he hears us casting aspersions on his good name – tipsy, indeed! hehehe!

Ewa

Hmm, do you think pouring vodka in it might help?
Morgana – well hopefully just reading my post won’t imprint the soap thing on you. If it does…sorry!

__Morgana__

Don’t worry about it. At this rate by the time I get around to trying this one it will be next year, anyway. And my short term memory these days is…. dang, what was I saying?

Comments

Rabs

__Morgana__

This sounds so delicious Ewa, I can’t wait to try mine. Lol.

Stephanie

I keep reading this as Tipsy Earl Grey!

Ewa

Hmm, do you think pouring vodka in it might help?

__Morgana__

I’m a Pole who grew up in Texas, is currently a graduate student in California studying Japan. How’s THAT for random?

Being Polish, my family has always drunk a lot of tea, and I am no different. I may drink more tea than water. On the other hand, I can’t say that I’m very particular about it; I’m generally pretty careless with steeping times and water temperature and I don’t even have a proper teapot (mostly because the lid broke during the move to California ;_;).

I always drink my tea unsweetened and I only add milk in the case of the most egregiously chai-ish of chais. (not really a big fan of milk in general)

Given that so many of my entries seem to be about my morning tea, I felt I should add something here about me and mornings: I fail at mornings. I fail at them a LOT. Therefore I often also fail at proper tea making in the mornings.

Santa Barbara