drank Spiced Plum by Harney & Sons

So I have no idea how this blend works. It’s a really fine powder that smells very strongly of cinnamon and just a little of plum and I guess that’s all that’s in it? What exactly is this powder made of? I have no clue!

Anyway, the fineness of the powder means that I have to use a sieve to pour this since the insert in my teapot is not really up to catching it. Not a huge deal, but it also means that I have substantially less control over how long it brews since taking out the insert does nuffing. Hopefully it is as forgiving as other posts have said.

At first I found this tea unremarkable. Easily sipped while doing something else, but – on thinking about it, this is quite a nice trait for a tea to have. Sometimes it’s nice to just have a tea you don’t have to concentrate on. (Damning with faint praise, I know) The actual tea is quite heavily cinnamony, but when you take the time to think about it, there is an underlying fruity sweetness that must be the plum. I have to say I quite like it and, despite the fact that it smelled quite strong in the bag, it is not overwhelming. In fact, I was kind of worried that this would be too celestial seasonings-y most of which teas I find to be overwhelming (not to mention their tendency to stick hibiscus in everything).

I’ll have to think some more about whether I want more of this, but the fact that, while thinking, I am steadily sipping this down is probably a good sign for it. I DO think this would be great for winter – visions of sugarplums and all that. Not that I know what a sugarplum is. When I think about them, I envision plums dipped in chocolate, which is a very popular Polish candy (that I’m not all that fond of, but that’s another story).

I’m a Pole who grew up in Texas, is currently a graduate student in California studying Japan. How’s THAT for random?

Being Polish, my family has always drunk a lot of tea, and I am no different. I may drink more tea than water. On the other hand, I can’t say that I’m very particular about it; I’m generally pretty careless with steeping times and water temperature and I don’t even have a proper teapot (mostly because the lid broke during the move to California ;_;).

I always drink my tea unsweetened and I only add milk in the case of the most egregiously chai-ish of chais. (not really a big fan of milk in general)

Given that so many of my entries seem to be about my morning tea, I felt I should add something here about me and mornings: I fail at mornings. I fail at them a LOT. Therefore I often also fail at proper tea making in the mornings.

Santa Barbara