Oh Malted ChocoMate, I’m so glad you’re back in my life again. You were one of my favorite teas from the 2010 Xmas sampler and now you’ve returned again in the Valentines Day sampler.

The mate leaves? chips? smell distinctly malted with a touch of chocolate scent. The mate pieces definitely aren’t leaves but they also aren’t chips in the way that rooibos or honeybush are. Whatever you’d call them, the mate pieces are a dark dark brown with chocolate nubs mixed in.

Steeped, the mate is a dark sable brown and smells mostly malty with only a touch of chocolate scent. The taste is a more even balance of chocolate and malt and oh so good. This is a tea that I sometimes wake up in the morning wanting and I’m glad to have it in my possession again.

I drank the first cup with breakfast (buttered wheat cinnamon raisin toast and a date fig greek yogurt) while watching the beginning of the documentary Love Etc which I’d DVRed off the Oprah channel. The second cup was lighter in flavor but still very tasty and I took that one into the study with me to drink at my desk.

I’m rating this mate a 83 (middle of my great range, 80-90).

2nd steep: 10 mins.

I’m 33 years old, studying pharmacy, and have a surly cat named Bin. I love tea, coffee, beer, wine, and most things food and beverage related. I also love music, movies, reading, writing, and learning new things.

I’ve drank tea all my life but about five to six years ago, my close friend Spautz got into tea and got me more into tea. I drink black teas and tisanes/herbals most. Since receiving a variable temperature kettle from my parents for Xmas this past year, I’ve been drinking more greens, oolongs, and whites. I’m very very new to puerh. That is, I’ve had only one.

Ratings scale:
50-60 Decent
40-50 Drinkable
30-40 Meh
0-30 Awful

Would I order this again ranking:
5 – definitely