After a late lunch of multi-grain cracker with deli chicken, aged cheddar, and grainy mustard and dill pickles on the side, I decided a cup of Oatmeal Raisin Cookie black tea would go good and that it was time to break into the pouch.

So when I got the tea of the week email from 52 Teas and saw this tea, I thought it would sell out plus I love oatmeal and oatmeal raisin cookies so I immediately headed over to the site and brought myself a pouch. I just hadn’t gotten around to trying it yet (because I have so much damn tea).

I opened the pouch today and all I could smell was grape candy. I sniffed again – the same. I keep sniffing more deeply and thought I could smell toasty oats and bake-y cookie scent but maybe it was my imagination hoping. The black tea leaves had rolled oats and raisins mixed in throughout. Steeped, all I could smell in this tea was grape candy scent.

I taste the tea quite hot – grape. I taste the tea as it cools – grape. All I can taste in the first steep is grape really, try as I might to find the oatmeal or the cookie. On the second steep, which still smells of grape, as it cools I find I can just find the oatmeal and the cookie a tiny bit.

I’m not rating this tea yet because I hated the Buttered Cinnamon Raisin Toast black tea the first two times I tried it. I did not think it tasted at all like buttered cinnamon raisin toast and kind of remember a similar grape-y flavor. But then I drank it again quite awhile later and wow it tasted like butter cinnamon raisin toast and I really liked it. So I’m hoping in time this tea will also mellow into tasting more like oatmeal raisin cookie. I’ll give it another try in a week or two.

2nd steep: 8 mins.

I’m 33 years old, studying pharmacy, and have a surly cat named Bin. I love tea, coffee, beer, wine, and most things food and beverage related. I also love music, movies, reading, writing, and learning new things.

I’ve drank tea all my life but about five to six years ago, my close friend Spautz got into tea and got me more into tea. I drink black teas and tisanes/herbals most. Since receiving a variable temperature kettle from my parents for Xmas this past year, I’ve been drinking more greens, oolongs, and whites. I’m very very new to puerh. That is, I’ve had only one.

Ratings scale:
50-60 Decent
40-50 Drinkable
30-40 Meh
0-30 Awful

Would I order this again ranking:
5 – definitely