drank Purple Tip by Bana Tea Company

So been going pretty strong with this pu-erh kick, and here is another one. After reading Ricky a few weeks ago, I decided to order this sampler (7 different pu-erh teas) to give it a shot. The presentation is fantastic, individual sealed wax paper bags all housed in a silky drawstring bag, along with some pu-erh newsletters ad information sheets, lovely.

The tea itself looked actually purple, I am not sure if that is why this is named or there is another reason, but they were dark, very dark, practically purple. I used less tea than normal as I have been trying to get a few brews out of this, but a quick rinse (5 seconds) then two quick brews (1 for 20 seconds, 1 for 30 seconds).

The liquor is light in color, has a slightly earthy note to it, but barely any aroma at all. The aroma and then taste and mouthfeel is very light and pleasant, not what I have come to expect from pu-erh, at all. This one was definitely sweeter than others I have tried, did not have the overpowering natural smell, in fact I feel like either I could have used more tea or a longer infuse time.

Honestly, if this was my first pu-erh (Numi Chocolate aside) I would have never had any trepidations as this was sweet and light and gentle, with a slightly pu-erh-esqueness that I am familiar with but does not scream “pu-erh”.

Will brew up the rest and see if I can add more.

Ricky

Well each sampler is exactly eight ounces so it’s perfect for one cup of tea. From the color I think this is a raw pu-erh so it’s a bit lighter. I realized the raw pu-erhs tasted a bit like Ti Kuan Yins. Can’t wait to read the rest of your reviews =]

Cinoi

That makes sense, this was definitely lighter than I expected, I will use the rest of the sample on a cup and give it a better shot for the tea. Can’t wait to try the rest!

Ricky

I had the same issue when I brewed up Bana Tea’s Special. I used two teaspoons and felt it was super light. After that I just started to use the whole sampler. Maybe I’ll try this one this coming Friday.

Cofftea

LOL Ricky don’t you mean it’s 8*g*?

WOAPS =P yep, eight grams. Eight ounces would be incredible though =]

Cofftea

8oz at 28g per oz would be 224g of pu erh! Since I drink 2oz cups, that’d be a 3rd of a year’s supply for me!

Comments

Ricky

Cinoi

Cofftea

LOL Ricky don’t you mean it’s 8*g*?

WOAPS =P yep, eight grams. Eight ounces would be incredible though =]

Cofftea

I am a sarcastic perfectionist, a computer nerd, a game geek, an avid reader, a gadget guru, a wine (and tea) enthusiast, and (in my spare time) a chemist.

As I mentioned, I am a chemist, research and development to be exact, so when evaluating tea, it is much like evaluating my products: I will find the flaws and do my very best to fix them because it is what I love to do. Along those lines, nothing is perfect, but can have perfect qualities, I will highlight those also.

I made a preliminary guide to my rating scale:
0-19 – Did not like anything about the tea, feel it cannot be saved without being reformulated.
20-40 – Did not like the tea, it can be saved with extreme amounts of tweaking (i.e., sugar, milk, honey and or blending with another tea)
41-60 – Neutral about the tea, it can be helped or hurt by additives or blends, varied temperatures and steep times
61-70 – Decent tea, needs a little bit of help to get it in the place I like it, but definitely not out of reach
71-80 – Quality tea, liked it, will try again
81-90 – Really enjoyed the tea, high quality, will continue to drink the tea, not looking for something better
91-100 – Loved the tea, will continue to brew and drink and spread the word about the tea to everyone

NJ