drank Genmai Cha by Adagio Teas

Finished my sample today. I have been finishing a decent amount of samples lately and unfortunately, not updating that they have now moved on from my cabinet.

I went with hot water, no additives in a travel mug. This means it was longer infusion time, with constant temperature. The tea has a wonderful toasty aroma – it is light, crisp, and toasty rice. Don’t let it sit too long, it will get bitter because you do not pull the leaves out, but I drank it over about 15 minutes, and then got a second infusion out of the leaves. The second infusion started to turn a bit bitter after an additional 15 minutes (30 minutes total on these leaves).

Final note: mixed feelings – sad my sample is gone, but excited that I can now open all the other Genmai Cha Teas I have collected. Until then

I am a sarcastic perfectionist, a computer nerd, a game geek, an avid reader, a gadget guru, a wine (and tea) enthusiast, and (in my spare time) a chemist.

As I mentioned, I am a chemist, research and development to be exact, so when evaluating tea, it is much like evaluating my products: I will find the flaws and do my very best to fix them because it is what I love to do. Along those lines, nothing is perfect, but can have perfect qualities, I will highlight those also.

I made a preliminary guide to my rating scale:
0-19 – Did not like anything about the tea, feel it cannot be saved without being reformulated.
20-40 – Did not like the tea, it can be saved with extreme amounts of tweaking (i.e., sugar, milk, honey and or blending with another tea)
41-60 – Neutral about the tea, it can be helped or hurt by additives or blends, varied temperatures and steep times
61-70 – Decent tea, needs a little bit of help to get it in the place I like it, but definitely not out of reach
71-80 – Quality tea, liked it, will try again
81-90 – Really enjoyed the tea, high quality, will continue to drink the tea, not looking for something better
91-100 – Loved the tea, will continue to brew and drink and spread the word about the tea to everyone

NJ