And this is the last unlogged tea! I’ve been saving this for last, because I knew how bad this was going to be. (I tried this before, see. Once.)

This is a very nice rooibos. There’s this surprising, buttery note both in the nose and in the cup. It mingles quite deliciously with the berryful body of the tea. And then…

…chili!

Seriously, the horror.

This is the first and last chili tea I try. I love spicy food. I love chili. But in a tea? To my palate, it’s an abomination.

Which is a shame, because I’m sure someone who enjoys chili teas might really like this one – hence the (possibly surprisingly) generous grade. It’s not you, Fruity Chili, it’s me.

I’ll see if I can find a new home for it; I vaguely recollect reading ‘I love rooibos and chili teas!’ on someone’s presentation, and I will hunt this person down.

[Purchased at Tehörnan in Uppsala, fall 2012.]

Boiling
keychange

Oh, I definitely hear you re it being an abomination in tea. That’s sort of how I feel when people rave about popcorn tea. we are not supposed to be able to drink popcorn! (then again, the concept of drinking dessert is comparable, although I suppose we’ve been introduced through milkshakes and sweet juices and such, so it doesn’t seem nearly as far-fetched).

Anna

I really want to try a popcorn tea now – if only to see how vile it can be, haha.

Comments

keychange

Anna

I’m going to try all the teas.

Then I will choose a lucky few perfect specimens, and we will live happily together in my tea cupboard.

Forever.

• * *

2014

This year, all bets are off. I am going to drink both peppermint and chamomile and possibly suffer a little. But it’s okay – it’s for science.

I’m doing Project Jasmine, Project Peach and Project Unflavoured Green.

In terms of flavoured teas, Lupicia and Mariage Frères have become my massive favourites, and I have learned that Dammann Frères/Fauchon/Hédiard and Butiki aren’t really for me.

The O Dor, Adagio and Comptoir des thés et des épices are all on this year’s I’d like to get to know you better list.

2013

Getting back into tea drinking last fall, I was all about rooibos. This past spring has been all green tea, all the time, with some white additions over the summer. Currently attempting a slow, autumnal graduation to black teas. Oolongs are always appropriate.

The constant for me, flavour wise, is the strong presence of fruity and floral notes. Vanilla is lush, as long as it’s not artificial. Peach, berries, mango. Cornflower, rose, lavender.

No peppermint.

No chamomile.

No cinnamon.

Ever.

• * *

My ratings don’t reflect the ‘What does this tea do for me?’ standard, but rather my own ‘What would I do for this tea?’ scale.

100-90
My absolute favourites. Teas I would travel for – or, in any case, pay exuberant postage for, because they simply have to be in my cupboard. Generally multi-faceted teas with complex scents and flavours. Teas with personality. Tricky teas.

89-80
Teas I wouldn’t hesitate to buy again if and when I came across them. Tea purchases I would surreptitiously weave into a travel itinerary (Oh! A Lupicia store! Here?! My word!).

79-70
Teas I enjoyed, but don’t necessarily need to make any kind of effort to buy again.

69-0
Varying degrees of disinterest and contempt.

Rome, Italy