drank White Symphony by A C Perch's

Hm, interesting – I didn’t have high hopes for the White Mulberry (Like, what’s a white mulberry, anyway? What’s its purpose?) and there were no reviews to read, really, but I ended up absolutely loving it – this one, on the other hand, was talked up by a certain T, so I thought it would be something similar to White Temple. (All these ACP whites!)

But… it’s really not. I think this would really shine as an iced tea, though, much like White Temple. Steeped hot, however, it comes off a little flighty.

Elderflower is tricky – I used to make concentrate every year, using it for sorbets and ice creams and lemonades and cakes and whatnot, so I know my elderflower notes; and this is good – a good elderflower. (I just used ‘elderflower’ three times in one sentence! Is there a special prize?) However, it’s so very subtle when hot that this delicately balanced little flavouring is nearly lost.

In terms of the pomegranate I know is supposed to be in here, I don’t really know. The aftertaste is more one of fruity candy than pom, to my palate. Any other flavour notes are sort of swallowed up by this lingering sweetness.

But yeah – iced. Next time, definitely.

[Sample gifted by my sweet friend T, October 2013.]

175 °F / 79 °C 8 min or more

I’m going to try all the teas.

Then I will choose a lucky few perfect specimens, and we will live happily together in my tea cupboard.

Forever.

• * *

2014

This year, all bets are off. I am going to drink both peppermint and chamomile and possibly suffer a little. But it’s okay – it’s for science.

I’m doing Project Jasmine, Project Peach and Project Unflavoured Green.

In terms of flavoured teas, Lupicia and Mariage Frères have become my massive favourites, and I have learned that Dammann Frères/Fauchon/Hédiard and Butiki aren’t really for me.

The O Dor, Adagio and Comptoir des thés et des épices are all on this year’s I’d like to get to know you better list.

2013

Getting back into tea drinking last fall, I was all about rooibos. This past spring has been all green tea, all the time, with some white additions over the summer. Currently attempting a slow, autumnal graduation to black teas. Oolongs are always appropriate.

The constant for me, flavour wise, is the strong presence of fruity and floral notes. Vanilla is lush, as long as it’s not artificial. Peach, berries, mango. Cornflower, rose, lavender.

No peppermint.

No chamomile.

No cinnamon.

Ever.

• * *

My ratings don’t reflect the ‘What does this tea do for me?’ standard, but rather my own ‘What would I do for this tea?’ scale.

100-90
My absolute favourites. Teas I would travel for – or, in any case, pay exuberant postage for, because they simply have to be in my cupboard. Generally multi-faceted teas with complex scents and flavours. Teas with personality. Tricky teas.

89-80
Teas I wouldn’t hesitate to buy again if and when I came across them. Tea purchases I would surreptitiously weave into a travel itinerary (Oh! A Lupicia store! Here?! My word!).

79-70
Teas I enjoyed, but don’t necessarily need to make any kind of effort to buy again.

69-0
Varying degrees of disinterest and contempt.

Rome, Italy