drank Grapefruit Green by Lupicia

In the bag, this perfectly mimics grapefruit – one of those very aromatic grapefruits, with tons of citrus oil in the peel. In the nose there’s definitely rind and bitterness – the full scale of true grapefruitness.

In the cup, though, the bitter element is reduced to the slightest hint in the aftertaste, just enough to make it a natural citrus. This really is just like drinking a grapefruit – or an oroblanco/Sweetie, going by how green it tastes.

There was a period in France when I used to have grapefruit for breakfast every day – where I stayed there were these perfect little grapefruit spoons that I loved, but I never got around to buying any of my own. So this summer in Japan, when I found some identical ones, I snatched them up immediately.

Now I want to stir my tea with one of those spoons. And I want to drink this with grapefruit. And I want to try it iced. And I want to have it with chocolate cake. And; and; and.

As always, Lupicia tea makes me really happy, and gives me small comforts and luxuries to look forward to. And my gratitude knows no bounds.

[From my Lupicia spree at Westfield Valley Fair in Santa Clara, October 2013.]

CHAroma

This is a really good one. :) Are you in Japan right now?? I’ve always wanted to go there! So cool!

Anna

No, I was there this summer. The very first thing I did upon arrival was obviously to stumble across a Lupicia store, haha. You should definitely go when you get a chance, it was so much fun.

TeaBrat

I’ve been getting into grapefruits lately myself.

Tina

Wow! This one sounds interesting. The grapefruit taste is quite special but refreshing. Can’t wait to drink this one.

Comments

CHAroma

Anna

TeaBrat

I’ve been getting into grapefruits lately myself.

Tina

I’m going to try all the teas.

Then I will choose a lucky few perfect specimens, and we will live happily together in my tea cupboard.

Forever.

• * *

2014

This year, all bets are off. I am going to drink both peppermint and chamomile and possibly suffer a little. But it’s okay – it’s for science.

I’m doing Project Jasmine, Project Peach and Project Unflavoured Green.

In terms of flavoured teas, Lupicia and Mariage Frères have become my massive favourites, and I have learned that Dammann Frères/Fauchon/Hédiard and Butiki aren’t really for me.

The O Dor, Adagio and Comptoir des thés et des épices are all on this year’s I’d like to get to know you better list.

2013

Getting back into tea drinking last fall, I was all about rooibos. This past spring has been all green tea, all the time, with some white additions over the summer. Currently attempting a slow, autumnal graduation to black teas. Oolongs are always appropriate.

The constant for me, flavour wise, is the strong presence of fruity and floral notes. Vanilla is lush, as long as it’s not artificial. Peach, berries, mango. Cornflower, rose, lavender.

No peppermint.

No chamomile.

No cinnamon.

Ever.

• * *

My ratings don’t reflect the ‘What does this tea do for me?’ standard, but rather my own ‘What would I do for this tea?’ scale.

100-90
My absolute favourites. Teas I would travel for – or, in any case, pay exuberant postage for, because they simply have to be in my cupboard. Generally multi-faceted teas with complex scents and flavours. Teas with personality. Tricky teas.

89-80
Teas I wouldn’t hesitate to buy again if and when I came across them. Tea purchases I would surreptitiously weave into a travel itinerary (Oh! A Lupicia store! Here?! My word!).

79-70
Teas I enjoyed, but don’t necessarily need to make any kind of effort to buy again.

69-0
Varying degrees of disinterest and contempt.

Rome, Italy