drank Tsugaru Green by Lupicia

I wasn’t going to drink this until tomorrow, but it was so appley and all-around tasty already that I couldn’t resist. Great tea for a cold steep – light, fresh, and crisp, like drinking a liquefied apple cloud. (Which, I guess, would technically be an apple rain, but nevermind.)

Perfection.

Iced 8 min or more
Crystal O.

I must purchase this tea.

Anna

It’s the best, most natural-tasting apple tea I’ve ever tried. Is there a Lupicia store in Vegas, by the way?

Crystal O.

That sounds so heavenly. I love apples a lot. There isn’t, actually! The closest one is in Southern California according to their location guide. I got introduced to the brand by a friend from the Bay Area!

Anna

Yeah, I’ve been to the one in Santa Clara, the one in Honolulu and the one in Kyoto, but they seem to crop up more and more frequently these days. A good sign!

Crystal O.

Oh, wow! I am completely jealous.

Anna

Don’t be – where I live now, I can’t even order Cookie online. I can only dream of full, permanent access to Lupicia’s online US store… so many teas I want to try. You totally win.

Crystal O.

Okay, yeah. I definitely couldn’t be able to live that life.

Anna

It’s simply not a dignified existence for a Lupicia lover.

Comments

Crystal O.

I must purchase this tea.

Crystal O.

Oh, wow! I am completely jealous.

Crystal O.

Okay, yeah. I definitely couldn’t be able to live that life.

Anna

It’s simply not a dignified existence for a Lupicia lover.

I’m going to try all the teas.

Then I will choose a lucky few perfect specimens, and we will live happily together in my tea cupboard.

Forever.

• * *

2014

This year, all bets are off. I am going to drink both peppermint and chamomile and possibly suffer a little. But it’s okay – it’s for science.

I’m doing Project Jasmine, Project Peach and Project Unflavoured Green.

In terms of flavoured teas, Lupicia and Mariage Frères have become my massive favourites, and I have learned that Dammann Frères/Fauchon/Hédiard and Butiki aren’t really for me.

The O Dor, Adagio and Comptoir des thés et des épices are all on this year’s I’d like to get to know you better list.

2013

Getting back into tea drinking last fall, I was all about rooibos. This past spring has been all green tea, all the time, with some white additions over the summer. Currently attempting a slow, autumnal graduation to black teas. Oolongs are always appropriate.

The constant for me, flavour wise, is the strong presence of fruity and floral notes. Vanilla is lush, as long as it’s not artificial. Peach, berries, mango. Cornflower, rose, lavender.

No peppermint.

No chamomile.

No cinnamon.

Ever.

• * *

My ratings don’t reflect the ‘What does this tea do for me?’ standard, but rather my own ‘What would I do for this tea?’ scale.

100-90
My absolute favourites. Teas I would travel for – or, in any case, pay exuberant postage for, because they simply have to be in my cupboard. Generally multi-faceted teas with complex scents and flavours. Teas with personality. Tricky teas.

89-80
Teas I wouldn’t hesitate to buy again if and when I came across them. Tea purchases I would surreptitiously weave into a travel itinerary (Oh! A Lupicia store! Here?! My word!).

79-70
Teas I enjoyed, but don’t necessarily need to make any kind of effort to buy again.

69-0
Varying degrees of disinterest and contempt.

Rome, Italy