drank Ripe Mango Oolong by Lupicia

Usually, when my luggage gets lost, I enjoy myself, because hey, free clothes. But this time around, I don’t really need anything. And Italy is the worst possible place for me to shop for basics. They don’t have my toothpaste. They don’t have toothbrushes I like. (Seriously. I have to TRAVEL to find reasonably soft toothbrushes here.) They don’t have my shampoo. They don’t have my powder, foundation, mascara, moisturizer or any of the other three skin care products I use. I could go on, but I know I’m an idiot whining about getting $600 to shop for – it’s just, I’m not overly consumey, and when I do buy something, I want it to be just the thing. But if I don’t use up the insurance money, it’s lost forever, and the only way to use it is to actually buy (the right kind of) stuff for it, so fine. Let’s play your game, capitalism. Tomorrow we shop some more.

They lost three of my teas, so it’s only fair I go buy some Mariage Frères, right?

This was my Tuesday seminar tea, and a much needed cup. Great seminar, perfect tea.

I’m sorry I whined.

Cavocorax

Don’t be! I’d be upset if I didn’t have my tea! (And my stuff)

Ana

I send my friend in Japan regular care packages because of similar things – shampoo, toothbrushes, the biggest being deodorant.

Comments

Cavocorax

Don’t be! I’d be upset if I didn’t have my tea! (And my stuff)

Ana

I’m going to try all the teas.

Then I will choose a lucky few perfect specimens, and we will live happily together in my tea cupboard.

Forever.

• * *

2014

This year, all bets are off. I am going to drink both peppermint and chamomile and possibly suffer a little. But it’s okay – it’s for science.

I’m doing Project Jasmine, Project Peach and Project Unflavoured Green.

In terms of flavoured teas, Lupicia and Mariage Frères have become my massive favourites, and I have learned that Dammann Frères/Fauchon/Hédiard and Butiki aren’t really for me.

The O Dor, Adagio and Comptoir des thés et des épices are all on this year’s I’d like to get to know you better list.

2013

Getting back into tea drinking last fall, I was all about rooibos. This past spring has been all green tea, all the time, with some white additions over the summer. Currently attempting a slow, autumnal graduation to black teas. Oolongs are always appropriate.

The constant for me, flavour wise, is the strong presence of fruity and floral notes. Vanilla is lush, as long as it’s not artificial. Peach, berries, mango. Cornflower, rose, lavender.

No peppermint.

No chamomile.

No cinnamon.

Ever.

• * *

My ratings don’t reflect the ‘What does this tea do for me?’ standard, but rather my own ‘What would I do for this tea?’ scale.

100-90
My absolute favourites. Teas I would travel for – or, in any case, pay exuberant postage for, because they simply have to be in my cupboard. Generally multi-faceted teas with complex scents and flavours. Teas with personality. Tricky teas.

89-80
Teas I wouldn’t hesitate to buy again if and when I came across them. Tea purchases I would surreptitiously weave into a travel itinerary (Oh! A Lupicia store! Here?! My word!).

79-70
Teas I enjoyed, but don’t necessarily need to make any kind of effort to buy again.

69-0
Varying degrees of disinterest and contempt.

Rome, Italy