What better way to wish one’s favorite consulting detective a “happy birthday” (though birthdays are boring) than with Cara’s “Sherlock” blend?

This is the second time trying this and I steeped for far, far shorter a time than I normally do for a black tea.

I’m not sure if it is because this tin of “Sherlock” has been sitting underneath a tin of “Reichenbach Recovery”, a shorter steep time, a better kettle (so more accurate water temp), or a placebo effect from really wanting to like this tea today of all days, but this morning’s cup was tasty. Not one I would normally choose first cuppa in the morning, but gave a better impression the second time around.

It still smells smokey, but the Oriental Spice seems to have intensified as it sat in my cabinet. The resulting liquid was smokey and slightly astringent, with an odd but not unpleasant toast-and-strawberry jam back-sweetness, even before adding a bit of sugar and an increasing amount of whole milk (nearly 2oz by the end).

While not the first thing I’ll grab, this will be added into rotation for post-morning tea drinking (at least to free up space in my cabinet – I just ordered Bond Street and Baker Street from Upton!)

Shmiracles

oh ploppers! how did i miss his birthday? where has my mind gone oh noes.

ClassieLassie

Tradition places the Great Detective’s natal anniversary on January 6.