drank Ying De Black Tea by Tao Tea Leaf

This is one of the teas I picked up during Tao Tea Leaf’s incredible Christmas in July sale (special thanks to Marzipan) and I am absolutely kicking myself for only picking up 25g of it. It is hands-down one of my favorite teas ever. A beautiful mix of malt, cocoa, and deep sweetness with next to no astringency. It has a mouthwatering scent of baked bread and rich chocolate, and tastes similar with a sweetness that lingers. Even the liquor is a gorgeous deep clear amber.

The leaves are quite twisty and wiry and it was difficult to even separate them let alone measure properly. So I ended up just dumping a couple pinches in my teapot. In retrospect I should have weighed it since it ended up being perfect. I brewed Western for a little over two minutes with about 7oz of water and it ended up lovely even though I thought it would be too weak. Definitely recommended!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Chocolate, Malt, Sugarcane

Boiling 2 min, 15 sec 7 OZ / 207 ML
yyz

I’m glad you love it. I still need to play with it a little to decide how to leaf it.

cookies

Thanks! I really do adore this one.

looseTman

I thoroughly enjoyed this tea. Believe it or not, Tao Tea Leaf’s Jin Ping Gong Fu Black Tea was even better!!

cookies

Ooh, really? I bought that one too but have yet to taste it. I’ll have to give it a try tomorrow.

looseTman

A definite treat is in store for you tomorrow. Enjoy!

Comments

yyz

cookies

Thanks! I really do adore this one.

looseTman

A definite treat is in store for you tomorrow. Enjoy!

My favorite teas are unflavored Chinese blacks, especially Yunnans & Fujians, and I’m also partial to strong Irish Breakfast blends and Assams. In addition to black teas I like heavy roasted oolongs and less-grassy green teas. I enjoy my blacks and oolongs unflavored, but have a soft-spot for flavored green teas. I always take my tea without additions except for masala chai blends which I always add milk to. Generally unsweetened soy or quinoa milks, occasionally I’ll splurge with some sweetened vanilla soy milk.

Likes: Anything roasty, toasty, smoky, or malty. As well as citrus and cream flavors.

Dislikes: Anise/licorice/fennel, stevia, & coconut flavoring. Rooibos, honeybush and mate tisanes.

Allergies: Peanuts & Tree nuts

I’ve decided to use a simplified rating system in order to keep things consistent.

100- The best tea I have ever tasted. Can’t live without it.

95- Wonderful teas that I drink almost daily, and will always have on hand. Probably the first teas I will recommend and serve to guests.

90- Teas I greatly enjoy and will restock often, though I may not always have them on hand.

80 – Good teas that I may purchase occasionally, or drink when I’m in the mood. Perhaps seasonal teas.

70- Enjoyable teas. I wouldn’t turn down a cup but may have to be in the mood to consider. Probably not a consistent in my cupboard.

60- I finished my cup/sample but wouldn’t purchase, and would turn down a cup if there were any other options.

50- Didn’t finish the cup. Would not drink again if offered a cup.

1- Nothing could make me try this tea again. And it has probably reduced my opinion of the entire company.

USA