drank Mayflower by Mariage Frères

Fig! so that was what the fruit was. I smelled it and was thinking plums or nectarines or something else, but they are right it is fig indeed.

And I got to say this is the weirdest named Mariage Frères tea I ever had. According to them an hommage to America and its pilgrims so they but blue flowers which according to them bloom in the Pacific (! It´s a whole continent away!) rivers and they flavour it with fresh figs and vanilla. Oh dear. Ah, geography.

This was a sample so kindly sent by Ysaurella, thank you so much! I love trying these lesser know Mariage Fréres teas, and often they can be so very good. That is the case this is a very nice smooth black tea base (Ysaurella reports some trickiness while brewing it, I had not read that note yet and was admittedly careless in that first brew but either I got lucky or it just likes my tap water). I do not get much vanilla though I would swear I keep getting a note like plums! Merci, Ysaurella!

CrowKettle

The blue leaves in that blend look gorgeous. Maybe they picked a blue flower that “blooms in May” as a play on words? I’ve never had a fig or date tea but it sounds good.

cteresa

I suspect it is just plain old cornflowers, it looks a lot like lady grey cornflowers or any other tea which has cornflowers. I think cornflowers and marigolds and sunflower petals are ubiquitous fillers, not sure they ever really had anything noticeable.

And I do not forgive them making a tea called Mayflower, mentioning the Pilgrims and them mentioning the pacific ocean #facepalm LOL. ouch!

This is nice and fruity. Though nothing too special IMO, a perfectly pleasant tea. America should not offended about this hommage, though seriously it would be so much more on topic than fig! OTOH I think Mariage Frères American Breakfast tea sounds totally incredible and will buy one of those days!

Ysaurella

happy you liked it cteresa.
this is really a blend I learnt to appreciate more & more drink after drink.
Like you at first sent I detected nectarinesbut this is really Fig and I am sooo happy because it was exactly what I was expecting a nice fig tea

Comments

CrowKettle

cteresa

Ysaurella

happy you liked it cteresa.
this is really a blend I learnt to appreciate more & more drink after drink.

Inconstant tea drinker – I mostly drink tea when not too hot. I hang around steepster much more frequently in (northern hemisphere) cold season.

- Teas -

I like all sorts of tea, flavoured and unflavoured, though I am picky. I am always willing to try anything new. I am now particularly interested in single origins.

I am one of those people who actually loves Lapsang Souchong. I am not crazy about Earl Grey, in general. I don´t quite get Darjeeling teas, but I am trying to make sure …

I like rooibos, though not all bases. I loathe hibiscus. I do not like fennel/liquorice/anise in blends or teas with chicory. I am picky about what I consider true cinnamon.

As you can probably tell from my cupboard, the brands I find more interesting right now are Mariage Fréres,Thé-o-Dor and Yumchaa.

Portugal