drank Spring Morning by Teaopia

Much to my dismay, Teavana has discontinued this tea, as I can’t find it on their site any longer. This was one of the legacy teas that they incorporated into their lineup when they bought out Teaopia in Canada, and knowing that they’re no longer stocking it makes me super sad (but not surprised – I’ve learned from Steepster’s forums that Teavana has a habit of doing this).

Anyways, this tea still remains one of my favourites. The base green is unassuming, which lets the fruit flavouring come forward a lot. Nice pale liquor with the tartness of berries – it actually smells kind of like strawberry gum!

Since it’s discontinued, I would normally hoard this tea like Smaug. But I just ordered a package of Demain from Nina’s Paris and had it shipped to a relative overwintering in Florida, who should be coming home later on this month. Once I have the two side by side I’ll do a taste comparison. Fingers crossed that Demain will be my new substitute since I won’t be able to get this tea anymore.

Anna

Aw, that’s so sad. I really hope Demain will be a fair substitute! Evil Teavana.

Christina

I have high hopes, since I’ve heard so many things about Nina’s Paris teas. Anna, considering your access to French tea blenders, what are your thoughts?

Anna

Well, I’m the wrong person to ask – I have a personal bias against NP without ever having tried any of their teas. I’ve e-mailed Laurent on six separate occasions without ever receiving a response, which I find unacceptable. Then again, I’m very curious about Nina’s Japon, so if I come across that at some point and enjoy it, I might be swayed. Possibly.

Christina

Oh, that’s too bad. Well, when I get my Nina’s stuff in, I’ll definitely post about it.

Anna

I definitely look forward to reading your reviews! =)

Comments

Anna

Anna

I definitely look forward to reading your reviews! =)

I’m a writer and editor who, after years of bagged-tea purgatory, has finally seen the light and glory of loose-leaf teas. I’m still just starting my journey, as it’s been only in the last 2 years that I’ve started drinking loose-leaf tea, and only in the past few months that I’ve been trying different varieties in earnest.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: unflavoured black teas, pu’er teas.

For those interested, here’s my scoring system, though I don’t score teas as often as I used to:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada