drank Birthday Cake by DAVIDsTEA

It’s nowhere near my birthday, but I wanted something sweet! Lately I’ve been realizing that I don’t have many caffeine-free or dessert-like teas in my cupboard. So tonight I went to the closest David’s and got a cup of this to go, as well as their “sweet indulgence” box, which contains 12 examples of sweet/dessert teas.

This tea really does taste like cake! It was a bit plain because I didn’t ask for a lot of agave nectar in the mix (just enough to give a bit of sweetness), but the vanilla/honey flavour is very true to the taste of real cake.

For a long time when I thought of rooibos tea, I thought of the taste of pine resin. But it’s teas like this that are slowly winning me over – I’m seeing how how versatile rooibos is to carry and enhance sweet flavours. :-)

Flavors: Caramel, Honey, Vanilla

Indigobloom

Agreed on the rooibos dessert teas!! I love the ones with a honeybush base. So much yum

Comments

Indigobloom

I’m a writer and editor who, after years of bagged-tea purgatory, has finally seen the light and glory of loose-leaf teas. I’m still just starting my journey, as it’s been only in the last 2 years that I’ve started drinking loose-leaf tea, and only in the past few months that I’ve been trying different varieties in earnest.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: unflavoured black teas, pu’er teas.

For those interested, here’s my scoring system, though I don’t score teas as often as I used to:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada