drank Tiger Monk by Temple Road

Today’s gonna be an oolong day, folks. I can feel it. So here’s oolong #1. This was a free sample that Temple Road gave out to the first 100 people who signed up.

At first I was really surprised by the steeping parameters on this one (95°C for 6 minutes), but I followed the instructions on the label. I was expecting something very dark by the end of the steep, but the liquor was surprisingly light and mellow-looking. I even steeped it for a minute longer than recommended (I was too focused on my breakfast and book to notice), and this didn’t affect it any.

Most of the oolongs I’ve had in the past have been on the green/floral end of the spectrum, so I wasn’t sure what to expect with a darker, more roasted oolong. This was a satisfying cup! Roasty, toasty, malty, and very soothing/relaxing. There’s also a surprisingly green, grassy aftertaste, which I really like .

I have a lot of oolongs in the cupboard right now (most of them sample-size, luckily), but when I sip them down, I think this one will definitely go on the restock list.

EDIT: I’ve resteeped this and the second infusion is a lot less malty, and more grassy/astringent, similar to the aftertaste of the first infusion. This is still pleasant, but I think it might be best as a one-steep tea.

Flavors: Grass, Malt, Roasted Barley

I’m a writer and editor who, after years of bagged-tea purgatory, has finally seen the light and glory of loose-leaf teas. I’m still just starting my journey, as it’s been only in the last 2 years that I’ve started drinking loose-leaf tea, and only in the past few months that I’ve been trying different varieties in earnest.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: unflavoured black teas, pu’er teas.

For those interested, here’s my scoring system, though I don’t score teas as often as I used to:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada