drank Cinnamon Diletto by Della Terra

One thing I’m noticing in my cupboard is a relative lack of caffeine-free blends. So when Kaylee offered this up in a swap after not enjoying this tea, I snapped it up.

Others have said that this tastes like a piece of cinnamon gum. I’ve had others teas that bring up this flavour more strongly (specifically Teavana’s Samurai Chai Oolong/Maharajah Chai blend), but it’s still pretty evident here.

The thing is, I don’t think of it as a drawback. I want a sweet tea for when I’m craving dessert, one which won’t make me stay up late, and this one fits the bill nicely.

The cinnamon and rooibos meld well here. At first sip, it was quite woody, so I added some lemon-infused honey to sweeten and round it out, and it works out. It’s got a bit of a peppery aftertaste, too – not sure where it’s coming from.

All in all, a good tea for the evening.

Many thanks to Kaylee for this sample. I’m glad that it’s found a home!

Updated February 2014:

I’m a writer and editor who’s fallen for loose-leaf tea hard. Within a year of joining Steepster, I’ve spent at least $500 on tea, and gotten a whole bunch in swaps! At this point I’ve got a better handle on what I like and dislike, but I’m sure that there will always be more to discover.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger, Ceylons, Chinese blacks.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: pu’er teas.

I rarely score teas anymore, but if I do, here’s the system I follow:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada