Sipdown!

I finished off my sample packet with some gaiwan brewing today. Didn’t track the times for each steep much, but I did use near 100C water and gave the leaves a quick rinse before the first steep.

The first steep was really sweet, but in an unpleasant metallic way, as if someone had added stevia to the mix. The third and fourth steeps were the best, where I got the nicest mix of oolong base and flavouring. However, by the end it was becoming a tad astringent. This is surprising, as the leaves had barely begun to unfurl by the final (6th or 7th) steep.

Not for me, I guess. But it was an educational tea all the same.

Updated February 2014:

I’m a writer and editor who’s fallen for loose-leaf tea hard. Within a year of joining Steepster, I’ve spent at least $500 on tea, and gotten a whole bunch in swaps! At this point I’ve got a better handle on what I like and dislike, but I’m sure that there will always be more to discover.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger, Ceylons, Chinese blacks.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: pu’er teas.

I rarely score teas anymore, but if I do, here’s the system I follow:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada