Happy Wednesday!

I have a job interview later on this morning, so I thought that something new and fresh would perk me up. I really liked the plain Bi Luo Chun from last week, so I thought I’d try the jasmine-flavoured version this time.

First off, the scent of jasmine is very strong in the leaf. I remember the unflavoured tea smelling very vegetal and seaweedy, but this one is just straight up jasmine. The leaf looks very different as well – the plain Bi Luo Chun was very fluffy, with lots of long threads and lots of fuzz/down visible. This version looks like nuggets/beads – like pearls or a rolled-up oolong.

I ended up using about 2.5 tsp of leaf for 24 oz, but because of the rolled-up nature of the leaves, that used up at least 2/3 of a single sample packet. The leaf was quite dense, and that led to a very strong jasmine flavour in the cup, so be warned: it’s better to slightly underleaf this one.

The taste: jasmine, and a of very straight, no-nonsense kind, too. It’s not quite soapy, but it’s heading in that direction, with very little of the vegetal greenness of the base coming through.

This was ok, but I think that once I finish off my samples, I’ll stick with the unflavoured Bi Luo Chun, which seems like it would be an excellent “comfort” green tea.

Many thanks to Angel for letting me try this!

Sami Kelsh

High fives for the job interview! Hope it goes well :)

Christina

Interview just finished. I’m nervous, but when I talked to someone else about it, they told me that it sounds like the interview went longer than expected, which to them was a good sign. Fingers crossed!

yyz

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, sounds good so far!

Comments

Sami Kelsh

High fives for the job interview! Hope it goes well :)

Christina

yyz

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, sounds good so far!

Updated February 2014:

I’m a writer and editor who’s fallen for loose-leaf tea hard. Within a year of joining Steepster, I’ve spent at least $500 on tea, and gotten a whole bunch in swaps! At this point I’ve got a better handle on what I like and dislike, but I’m sure that there will always be more to discover.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger, Ceylons, Chinese blacks.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: pu’er teas.

I rarely score teas anymore, but if I do, here’s the system I follow:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada