After all of the talking over the weekend, my throat has not been feeling well. Funny enough it felt WORSE when I woke up this morning compared to last night.

But dear lord, if there is one thing tea is meant for, it is soothing sore throats. I’m on my THIRD full teapot of the day, people.

I sipped down my Moroccan Mint from Tealux (all the better to make room for my incoming order of Crazy Mint from RiverTea), and now I’m doing a custom blend of lemon myrtle and spearmint, both from David’s Tea.

About 3 tsp of lemon myrtle, 1.25 tsp of spearmint, steeped with 24 oz of boiling water for 1 minute, with a dollop of honey added to sweeten it and make it super throat-coaty. I think it’s doing the trick.

The thing is, I’m still tasting a lot of lemon, and almost no mint. My guess is that the mint is softening the lemon somehow and making it more palatable in general, since this brew lacks the Pledge Lemon Cleaner flavour I’ve noticed in the past.

Dear throat: please get better. I’m sorry I abused you this past weekend, but what were you thinking, getting irritated right before a major networking event?

Cameron B.

My sore throats always feel worse when I first wake up because I tend to sleep with my mouth open, especially when I’m sick. I’m glad to hear the tea is helping and I hope you feel better. :)

Comments

Cameron B.

I’m a writer and editor who, after years of bagged-tea purgatory, has finally seen the light and glory of loose-leaf teas. I’m still just starting my journey, as it’s been only in the last 2 years that I’ve started drinking loose-leaf tea, and only in the past few months that I’ve been trying different varieties in earnest.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: unflavoured black teas, pu’er teas.

For those interested, here’s my scoring system, though I don’t score teas as often as I used to:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada