After all of the talking over the weekend, my throat has not been feeling well. Funny enough it felt WORSE when I woke up this morning compared to last night.

But dear lord, if there is one thing tea is meant for, it is soothing sore throats. I’m on my THIRD full teapot of the day, people.

I sipped down my Moroccan Mint from Tealux (all the better to make room for my incoming order of Crazy Mint from RiverTea), and now I’m doing a custom blend of lemon myrtle and spearmint, both from David’s Tea.

About 3 tsp of lemon myrtle, 1.25 tsp of spearmint, steeped with 24 oz of boiling water for 1 minute, with a dollop of honey added to sweeten it and make it super throat-coaty. I think it’s doing the trick.

The thing is, I’m still tasting a lot of lemon, and almost no mint. My guess is that the mint is softening the lemon somehow and making it more palatable in general, since this brew lacks the Pledge Lemon Cleaner flavour I’ve noticed in the past.

Dear throat: please get better. I’m sorry I abused you this past weekend, but what were you thinking, getting irritated right before a major networking event?

Cameron B.

My sore throats always feel worse when I first wake up because I tend to sleep with my mouth open, especially when I’m sick. I’m glad to hear the tea is helping and I hope you feel better. :)

Comments

Cameron B.

Updated February 2014:

I’m a writer and editor who’s fallen for loose-leaf tea hard. Within a year of joining Steepster, I’ve spent at least $500 on tea, and gotten a whole bunch in swaps! At this point I’ve got a better handle on what I like and dislike, but I’m sure that there will always be more to discover.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger, Ceylons, Chinese blacks.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: pu’er teas.

I rarely score teas anymore, but if I do, here’s the system I follow:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada