drank Mango Fruit Punch by DAVIDsTEA

It turns out I’ve been making my iced teas all wrong. I was using boiling water, letting it steep, adding the icecubes, and getting rid of the remaining leaf immediately.

This time, I just coldbrewed it in the fridge for a day, and I have to say the flavour is much brighter (also, it turns out that what I thought was 2L was nowhere near 2L, so the fact that this tea tastes okay despite my use what I thought would be an excessive amount of water is even better).

The liquor is a lovely sunny yellow, and I can definitely taste the fruits. It’s quite a light flavour, and I’m sure I’d enjoy it much more if my tongue weren’t half-dead from sucking on lozenges, but there it is.

Also, this is a sipdown.

Iced 8 min or more 30 g 66 OZ / 1951 ML
Marzipan

You don’t think it tastes stronger when you hot brew it?

Christina

No, because I only let the leaf sit in the hot water for about 5 minutes. Coldbrewing it for longer felt like a more… thorough flavour, somehow.

jeweledthumb

I feel the best way to get the best bang for your tea buck for making iced tea is brew based on hot brewing recommendation (tsp per water) and time/temp recommendations if it’s not an herbal and THEN stick it in the fridge overnight.

Comments

Marzipan

You don’t think it tastes stronger when you hot brew it?

Christina

jeweledthumb

Updated February 2014:

I’m a writer and editor who’s fallen for loose-leaf tea hard. Within a year of joining Steepster, I’ve spent at least $500 on tea, and gotten a whole bunch in swaps! At this point I’ve got a better handle on what I like and dislike, but I’m sure that there will always be more to discover.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger, Ceylons, Chinese blacks.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: pu’er teas.

I rarely score teas anymore, but if I do, here’s the system I follow:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada