Sample sipdown!

I’m still new to the world of pu’erh teas, but this one didn’t really excite me much. It tasted kind of fishy and even a tad sweaty, and compared to the other pu’erh I’ve tried (Verdant’s amazing Tian Di Ren Bulang Sheng from 2006), this one seemed kind of flat. It was in a teabag so I didn’t rinse it – maybe that’s why.

This was a swap from Jude. At least I got to broaden my horizons a bit!

TeaBrat

This tea is also a shu which is a lot different from a sheng. :)

Christina

Ah, see the teabag that I got in the swap didn’t say anything about that. I’ve never had a shu before this, but considering that I prefer green tea over black and have seen comments from others that shengs compare to shus the way green tea compares to black, I think sheng might be more up my alley.

Comments

TeaBrat

This tea is also a shu which is a lot different from a sheng. :)

Christina

I’m a writer and editor who, after years of bagged-tea purgatory, has finally seen the light and glory of loose-leaf teas. I’m still just starting my journey, as it’s been only in the last 2 years that I’ve started drinking loose-leaf tea, and only in the past few months that I’ve been trying different varieties in earnest.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: unflavoured black teas, pu’er teas.

For those interested, here’s my scoring system, though I don’t score teas as often as I used to:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada