The day has finally come where I mustered up the courage to try this tea. I got it in my very first swap with aisling of tea and De about 3 months ago.

I’ve never tried matcha before on my own. I’ve had fruit smoothies with matcha powder at the mall, and I’ve tried green tea ice cream, but this is still a new experience for me.

I ended up mixing a full David’s Perfect Teaspoon (about 2.5 tsp) with a cup of almond milk and a cup or so of vanilla ice cream.

Mixed up, I’m not quite sure what to make of this. It’s minty, but the green undertone of the tea isn’t quite meshing well for me. Also, it tastes kind of chemically, when I was really expecting just to get a clear sweet mint taste like lifesavers.

I’m not sure if I did this correctly. I took the powder, put a splash of almond milk in to make it a paste, mixed in the rest of the milk, and then added the powder/milk mix to the blender with the ice cream. Any pointers here? I’ve probably got at least a few tsp of this left to finish off and I’d feel bad just throwing it out.

Marzipan

David’s perfect teaspoon doesn’t measure a teaspoon?

mj

The matchas (except the Matchccino) that I’ve tried have all been labeled with these instructions: 0.5tsp matcha + 8oz milk + a few ice cubes and then blend. You can add sugar or sweetener if you want too.

Christina

I got them in a swap, so I wasn’t able to see the original packaging. I checked out the Red Leaf site, though, and their recipe for matcha lattes said to use 1 tbsp of matcha, so I followed that. I guess I should try less leaf next time.

@Marzipan – David’s Perfect Teaspoons are larger than the normal ones, and there was a thread on the forum a while back that said that their capacity is about 2.5 tsp, so that’s what I based my measurements on.

mj

Weird! I was just going by the directions on the inserts that come with the match…which are very different than the instructions on the website. I think someone else on Steepster told me the same instructions that I told you. But I could totally be crazy.

*matcha

Ubacat

Did you ever try to see if there were 2.5 tsp in David’s Tea perfect teaspoon? I think it’s closer to a tablespoon but never measured myself.

Comments

Marzipan

David’s perfect teaspoon doesn’t measure a teaspoon?

Christina

*matcha

Ubacat

I’m a writer and editor who, after years of bagged-tea purgatory, has finally seen the light and glory of loose-leaf teas. I’m still just starting my journey, as it’s been only in the last 2 years that I’ve started drinking loose-leaf tea, and only in the past few months that I’ve been trying different varieties in earnest.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: unflavoured black teas, pu’er teas.

For those interested, here’s my scoring system, though I don’t score teas as often as I used to:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada