Backlog from last night:

I took this with me in a thermos last night – my husband and I walked down to the waterfront to see if we could catch any fireworks. We weren’t disappointed. We originally hoped to see about watching the fireworks that took place a few km down the shore in the distance, but a bunch of random local people brought their own fireworks to set off. It was quite a show! We had our camp chairs and sat under a tree, and I sipped this.

However, thermos drinking really doesn’t allow the flavour of this tea to come to the fore. I need to get some more chais in my collection – this is nice, but the shipping cost from Golden Moon to Canada is ridiculous. Here’s hoping my order of Just Charming Chai from Just Organic Tea’s Kickstarter (it’s shipping in about a week!) will be just as good.

I’m a writer and editor who, after years of bagged-tea purgatory, has finally seen the light and glory of loose-leaf teas. I’m still just starting my journey, as it’s been only in the last 2 years that I’ve started drinking loose-leaf tea, and only in the past few months that I’ve been trying different varieties in earnest.

Likes: Green tea, sobacha, fruit flavours, masala chais, jasmine, mint, citrus, ginger.

Dislikes (or at least generally disinclined towards): Hibiscus, rosehip, chamomile, licorice, lavender.

Things I’m on the fence about: Oolong, vanilla (I prefer it mixed with black teas or rooibos rather than green tea), white teas.

Still need to do my research on: unflavoured black teas, pu’er teas.

For those interested, here’s my scoring system, though I don’t score teas as often as I used to:

100-85: A winner!
84-70: Pretty good. This is a nice, everyday kind of tea.
69-60: Decent, but not up to snuff.
59-50: Not great. Better treated as an experiment.
49-0: I didn’t like this, and I’m going to avoid it in the future. Blech.

Toronto, ON, Canada