drank Destiny's Chai by DAVIDsTEA

Steeped 1 tsp in 10oz for 4 minutes and woo yeah that’s fire! My kind of caffeine-free masala chai. I mostly taste spicy hot cinnamon and ginger, lesser black pepper and cardamom and maybe a rooty zing from teh ginseng. The ashwagandha not so much but I’m used to the starchy, parched earth flavor of whisking a 1/2 tsp of powder into almond milk and simmering. The cloves come through much more in the aroma than in taste. I love how the heat of this one warms my whole head and lingers in the mouth, but as it dissipates I notice that ‘fake sweet’ cinnamon flavoring sticking around which I don’t like.

I bet this would stand up to simmering in any milk of your choice; however, with the amount of cinnamon, I think it might overpower the other spices. I have one teaspoon left and will try the rest of it either on the stove with milk or brewed with a bag of rooibos. Thanks, Leafhopper :)

Flavors: Black Pepper, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Clove, Ginger, Spicy

Tea Habits:

Among my favorites are sheng puerh, Taiwanese oolong, a variety of black (red) teas from all over, all teas Nepali, herbals, Wuyi yancha. I keep a few green and white teas on hand. Shou puerh is a cold weather brew. Tiny teapots and gaiwans are my usual brewing vessels when not preparing morning cups western style and pouring into my work thermos. Friend of teabags. Hold the milk and sugar unless we’re talking masala chai.

In my late teens, home-brewed unsweetened Lipton iced tea was the drink of choice to combat cottonmouth. The following years saw the appearance of the odd box of tea from Trader Joe’s. About 4 years ago, walking out of the parking garage where I kept my motorcycle, I came across a move-out dumpster treasure: single serve packets of what I can look back now and say was Wuyi yancha. Yes, I drank dumpstered tea and honestly, that’s what blew the doors wide open.

Preference Reference
“That’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

89-80: Fits my profile well enough to buy again. Some could be great daily drinkers.

59-1: Lacking several elements, strangely clunky, possesses off flavors/aroma/texture or something about it makes me not want to finish.

Character Rundown:

Boring pandemic hermit whose only current hobbies besides tasting tea are skateboarding and learning herbalism. Will update as the times change.

Sonoma County, California, USA