drank Mint Chocolate Chai by Cuppa Geek

derk:

Smells like somebody dropped an Andes mint into dirty chai (chai with a shot of espresso), tastes kinda like a dirty chocolate chai or mexican hot chocolate but with a green tea taste and body. It sips like thin peppermint chocolate that moves into a clean, mineral-dry grass base green tea mid-mouth, then with the swallow, it’s again like that Andes mint dropped in a dirty chai.  I can taste cloves – strongly – but I personally think it’s in good proportion to the chocolate.  I taste a good amount of cardamom, too (I get Turkish cardamom coffee vibes!); a hint of orange zest, no ginger.   The peppermint is clean and cooling in the mouth, but overall the tea is very drying.  Interesting! and kind of true to the name. I like it but it’s just so drying. There’s potential with this blend. Wish I had some koulourakia to dip. It’s your basic Greek butter cookie that people have with coffee.

Kiki:

“Hmmmm.  Is that clooove? hehehe  It smells like some Greek cookies baking in the oven. sips, does a double take HA!! that was a surprise! ooh.  It kinda smells like some incense.  Yeah that’s a surprise!  Am I getting a little chocolate in taste, some carob or something?  I’m getting the clove flavor – numbs your mouth.  Smells like my grandma’s medicine cabinet.  Is it carob and peppermint?  I get like a Tootsie Pop, uh chocolate pop and then a c-cool one.  Maybe it’s mint chocolate, I dunno.”

For the record, the package I received was labelled Mint Chocolate Chip with less ingredients but it’s definitely the Mint Chocolate Chai on the website.

Flavors: Artificial, Candy, Cardamon, Chocolate, Clove, Coffee, Cookie, Dry Grass, Drying, Earth, Medicinal, Mineral, Orange Zest, Peppermint

Martin Bednář

Great comparison!

Comments

Martin Bednář

Great comparison!

Tea Habits:

Among my favorites are sheng puerh, Taiwanese oolong, a variety of black (red) teas from all over, all teas Nepali, herbals, Wuyi yancha. I keep a few green and white teas on hand. Shou puerh is a cold weather brew. Tiny teapots and gaiwans are my usual brewing vessels when not preparing morning cups western style and pouring into my work thermos. Friend of teabags. Hold the milk and sugar unless we’re talking masala chai.

In my late teens, home-brewed unsweetened Lipton iced tea was the drink of choice to combat cottonmouth. The following years saw the appearance of the odd box of tea from Trader Joe’s. About 4 years ago, walking out of the parking garage where I kept my motorcycle, I came across a move-out dumpster treasure: single serve packets of what I can look back now and say was Wuyi yancha. Yes, I drank dumpstered tea and honestly, that’s what blew the doors wide open.

Preference Reference

89-80: Fits my profile well enough to buy again. Some could be great daily drinkers.

59-1: Lacking several elements, strangely clunky, possesses off flavors/aroma/texture or something about it makes me not want to finish.

Character Rundown:

Boring pandemic hermit whose only current hobbies besides tasting tea are skateboarding and learning herbalism. Will update as the times change.

Sonoma County, California, USA