Big-leaved sencha and cute little uniform nuggets of toasted rice that havenn’t popped. The aroma smells strongly of toasted rice, so much that it reminds me of sobacha or peanut butter or sesame oil. This is a lighter-tasting sencha than what I’m used to compared to that had with sushi. The taste is a good balance of toasted rice and straw-grass seed-seaweed and salty tang. It’s a little drying but not too bad. The aftertaste is subtle but tastes like buttery caramel kettlecorn with a thin nectar sweetness. Second steep is thicker, sweeter and in general leans much more kettlecorn. Solid overall, but I think I prefer a bolder green tea presence.

Edit: Cameron B. says below it’s bancha, not sencha :)

Flavors: Butter, Caramel, Drying, Grass Seed, Kettle Corn, Nectar, Salt, Seaweed, Straw, Sweet, Tangy, Toasted Rice, Toasty

Cameron B.

Their genmaicha is made with a bancha base, and yes it’s definitely mellow.

derk

I could google but I’d rather pick your brain- what’s bancha?

Cameron B.

It’s just a lower grade Japanese green tea than sencha, picked from bigger and more mature leaves, later in the season. It tends to have a more mellow flavor and be a bit more grassy versus vegetal.

Thank you!

Martin Bednář

I wonder how much different is this to the tea bags I have sent?

derk

The green tea taste isn’t as pronounced and it’s overall rather sweet.

Martin Bednář

Thanks; certainly this one sounds better :)

Comments

Cameron B.

Their genmaicha is made with a bancha base, and yes it’s definitely mellow.

derk

I could google but I’d rather pick your brain- what’s bancha?

Thank you!

Martin Bednář

I wonder how much different is this to the tea bags I have sent?

derk

The green tea taste isn’t as pronounced and it’s overall rather sweet.

Martin Bednář

Thanks; certainly this one sounds better :)

Tea Habits:

Among my favorites are sheng puerh, Taiwanese oolong, a variety of black (red) teas from all over, all teas Nepali, herbals, Wuyi yancha. I keep a few green and white teas on hand. Shou puerh is a cold weather brew. Tiny teapots and gaiwans are my usual brewing vessels when not preparing morning cups western style and pouring into my work thermos. Friend of teabags. Hold the milk and sugar unless we’re talking masala chai.

In my late teens, home-brewed unsweetened Lipton iced tea was the drink of choice to combat cottonmouth. The following years saw the appearance of the odd box of tea from Trader Joe’s. About 4 years ago, walking out of the parking garage where I kept my motorcycle, I came across a move-out dumpster treasure: single serve packets of what I can look back now and say was Wuyi yancha. Yes, I drank dumpstered tea and honestly, that’s what blew the doors wide open.

Preference Reference

89-80: Fits my profile well enough to buy again. Some could be great daily drinkers.

59-1: Lacking several elements, strangely clunky, possesses off flavors/aroma/texture or something about it makes me not want to finish.

Character Rundown:

Boring pandemic hermit whose only current hobbies besides tasting tea are skateboarding and learning herbalism. Will update as the times change.

Sonoma County, California, USA