drank Earl Green by Empire Tea Services
1995 tasting notes

SimplyJenW was kind enough to send me a sample of this tea when she sent the Talbott’s box. I like green Earl Greys but I don’t end up drinking them often… not for any particular reason, though. I’m almost out of the stock of green Earl Grey that I do have, however, so I guess I’m kind of on the market for a replacement. Glad to try this one!

When I opened up the pouch and stuck my nose in it to smell the tea, I was surprised. Plenty of bright bergamot aroma, yes, but also some really nutty tones as well that I’m sure are coming from the green tea. I also get the peppery notes that ashmanra mentioned, which are kind of combining with the nuttiness. It’s a pretty similar aroma from the steeped tea, but more peppery. I’m not really sure that peppery is the right word for it, really, but I can’t think of anything better. Bright, citrusy bergamot, nutty, buttery, peppery almost cookie-ish green tea.

This tea is definitely a winner. It’s clearly a high quality green base, and the flavor combos are awesome. Very similar to the aromas I described above. I agree that the bergamot is both citrusy and a touch floral, and pretty strong. The green tea isn’t grassy or vegetal at all, but nutty and cookie-ish, and the whole thing together seems lightly spicy in some way, along with being a hint sweet. This is unlike any other green Earl Grey that I’ve ever had (actually not true… it’s kind of similar to Verdant’s Lavender Earl Green without the lavender), because they are all typically generically “green tea” (grassy, green teaish) with bergamot, which is tasty but not extraordinary. This tea is pretty extraordinary. I keep taking sips and constantly being amazed by the flavor once it fully rounds out in my mouth. Definitely going on my must-have list. Thanks so much for the sample, Jen!

SimplyJenW

I thought it was one you would like! It is my favorite Earl Green. (Thank you to KS for sending me some to get me hooked!)

Dinosara

Yes it was awesome!

ashmanra

I was a lucky recipient of this from KS as well. Yummy tea, and resteeps well. I think I may like this more than black Earl Grey now.

Comments

SimplyJenW

Dinosara

Yes it was awesome!

ashmanra

In my free time I am a birder, baker, and music/movie/tv addict.

Here are my rating categories, FYI:
89-86: I really really like these teas and will keep most of them in the permanent collection, but they’re not quite as spectacular as the top category
85-80: Pretty tasty teas that I enjoy well enough, but definitely won’t rebuy when I run out.
49 and below: Mega yuck. This tea is just disgusting to me.

Ohio, US