When I went to Dammann Fréres in Paris, I bought one of the two ‘macaron’ teas they had, the Macaron Mangue Jasmin. I came back and I loved it so much, I wished I had bought the other, this one! Well fortunately for me QueenOfTarts wanted to swap me for some, so here it is, in my possession! Thanks QueenOfTarts!

The dry leaf smells lovely, like delicious, fresh, real black currants (cassis). I don’t detect a distinct violet note, but it does have perhaps a hint of a floral quality to it. The almondy macaron is also fairly subtle but lurking about in the corners. Steeped, the tea definitely smells like more of a mix of currants and violet; it’s more floral, and there is also more of the macaron aroma at the base of it.

I had high expectations for this tea, and I was not disappointed. It’s Dammann Fréres, how could I be? I have never been disappointed by a tea of theirs. This tea is fruity, floral and almondy (in a light, macaron-y way) all at the same time, and blended in perfect proportions. The black currant is lovely and berryful and sweet, the violet is light and floral, the macaron is slightly bakey-cookish in an ethereal way, just like a real macaron. Yum.

Aaand, now I want macarons.

Ysaurella

Just drink it 2 days ago …will do a review soon :)

softrevolution

Oh that sounds gorgeous. Too bad you can’t taste much of the violet, a violet tea sounds intriguing.

ashmanra

JacquelineM used to drink a violet tea that she loved. I think it was a green and was from Mariages Freres, and the name may have had Nuit in it? I will try to find it!

ashmanra

Found it! It was Dammann Freres Nuit à Versailles.

Comments

Ysaurella

Just drink it 2 days ago …will do a review soon :)

softrevolution

ashmanra

Found it! It was Dammann Freres Nuit à Versailles.

In my free time I am a birder, baker, and music/movie/tv addict.

Here are my rating categories, FYI:
100-90: I’m in LOVE with these teas.
84-80: Tasty teas that I enjoy, but definitely won’t rebuy when I run out.
49 and below: Mega yuck. This tea is just disgusting to me.

Ohio, US