drank Black Pearl by Mandala Tea

This tea comes to me thanks to Azzrian, who sent me an awesome box of tea in our recent swap. This is one of the few that I asked for specifically because I really love Teavivre’s black pearls and am interested to try others as well.

I used 5 pearls for my 12oz cup. After two minutes they unraveled pretty completely and the liquor is a dark reddish amber. It smells rich, a touch chocolatey, with a hint of something else I can’t quite place. Oh right, a bit of smoke.

Yeah, this definitely has a smoky note to it that I was not expecting at all. It reminds me a bit of a keemun I tried once… with all the grainy, mollassesy, chocolatey sweetness, and a hit of smoke on top. Unfortunately, I am not really a fan of those smoky notes. They really do not do it for me at all. I can tell this is a very nice tea and without those smoke notes, I would love it. But I definitely won’t be seeking this one out again. Thanks so much for letting me try it, Azzrian!

In my free time I am a birder, baker, and music/movie/tv addict.

Here are my rating categories, FYI:
100-90: I’m in LOVE with these teas.
84-80: Tasty teas that I enjoy, but definitely won’t rebuy when I run out.
49 and below: Mega yuck. This tea is just disgusting to me.

Ohio, US