drank Strawberry by Lupicia

Sipdown, 185. I, like many others, received a sachet of this with the Lupicia newsletter, although my newsletter seems to have come much later than most other people’s. Ah well. I figured I would go ahead and drink it down otherwise it might sit for a while. I’m not the hugest fan of strawberry flavored things, although I guess I like them ok. I used to love strawberry candy when I was a kid.

When I unwrapped the sachet it smelled intensely, incredibly strawberry. Strawberry candy, strawberry pie, strawberry jam. Basically strawberries + sugar, which is to say not like fresh strawberries. After steeping it calmed down a bit (but only a bit) and the black tea base came out more. I tend to enjoy Lupicia’s bases, so I am definitely pleased.

My first thought upon sipping was wow, strawberry candy! But then a tart note appeared, toning it down and reminding me of the white part of fresh strawberries, the part that never gets super sweet. There’s also almost a leafiness here, which is surprising given that this is a black tea. A lot of people are disappointed that this one doesn’t taste as strong as it smells, but I for one am glad it doesn’t taste as strong as it smells. I like it at this blend, and I like it more than I thought I would. Go Lupicia, for making me enjoy a strawberry tea.