Sipdown, 195. This was a surprise sample from my last Butiki order. I am normally not a fan of assams, but I am willing to try anything once, and always happy to have my ideas about types of teas overturned.

Steeped, it smells, well, assam-y. It’s kind of hard to describe. I think its the smell of slight astringency (but it doesn’t smell too strong), coupled with a raisiny note. But yeah, I get the malty, peppery, hay-ish, yunnan-ish notes as well.

Well, this is nice! Definitely reminds me of a yunnan. I taste sweet potatoes and hay and maltiness. Quite a surprise really, this is an assam that I would never guess is an assam. No astringency, not quite bold or in your face. Just the way I like my black teas, smooth and easy to drink.