So, as I have said before, I don’t really like assams. Clearly I can be proven wrong about this, but only if they don’t really taste like assams (see: Hattalli Golden Lion Assam also from Butiki). Which is why I ordered this one. For one, it’s an C. s. assamica bush, but it was imported to Taiwan a long time ago and has been cultivated there, so there is a good chance it will taste completely different. After all, just look at how different C. s. sinensis bushes can taste around different areas of the world. There were also enough rave reviews of this one, including ones comparing it to Laoshan Black, that I was willing to give it a try. And Stacy put it on sale when I asked, even.

This tea is one of those long, squiggly-leafed teas that make it impossible to dish out with a teaspoon. As a result I think I underleafed this cup. Nevertheless, I am already impressed. Honestly I have been dealing with a lot of nonsense this morning so I can’t give you a detailed impression of the aroma because I have already drank the entire cup. Flavor-wise, I’d say this reminds me more of a Fujian black than any assam. It is honeyed and malty, with notes of grains and raisins. I don’t think I would say chocolatey, but that’s fine with me. I think I will have to try some of my Fujian blacks and then this again so that I can really get a handle on it, but it is lovely.

K S

I am with you. I generally don’t get assams unless they are iced.

Comments

K S

I am with you. I generally don’t get assams unless they are iced.

In my free time I am a birder, baker, and music/movie/tv addict.

Here are my rating categories, FYI:
49 and below: Mega yuck. This tea is just disgusting to me.

Ohio, US