drank Zhen Qu by Butiki Teas

This is the fourth tea that I ordered from Butiki. Once again, a black tea varietal from China that I haven’t tried; count me in. I ordered a small amount of this to try and I am not disappointed.

I don’t know what I was expecting the dry leaf to look like, but not like it did. I guess I was expecting longish glossy black strands, but instead it is curly, golden and fuzzy. The tea steeped up fairly light for a black, more like a dark brownish maroon. It smells both a bit chocolatey and a bit fruity.

The flavor to me is a bit of cocoa, a fair amount of malt, some soft breadiness and definite nuttiness like a pecan or walnut. It’s lightly sweet, too, which gives it some honeyed notes as well. It’s not a robust black tea but I would say it is full-bodied in that the texture is rich and not thin. Quite tasty and definitely up my alley. I do like having all of these different Chinese black teas around for a little subtle variety. :)

In my free time I am a birder, baker, and music/movie/tv addict.

Here are my rating categories, FYI:
100-90: I’m in LOVE with these teas.
84-80: Tasty teas that I enjoy, but definitely won’t rebuy when I run out.
49 and below: Mega yuck. This tea is just disgusting to me.

Ohio, US