drank Calissons d'Aix by Lupicia
1963 tasting notes

I wanted a rich, dessertty tea this afternoon and it seems like it’s been a bit since I’ve brewed up a flavored one (that wasn’t a cold brew), so I decided to finally plunge into my recent Lupicia order. I ordered a bunch of teas on sale and this was one of them, and the biggest surprise in the box. There are no reviews for this tea (I actually had to add it to the database) and Lupicia provides no other information other than a calisson is a sweet from the south of France (side note: I really wish they provided ingredients lists on their website). Well I like French sweets, and I tried to look them up and found out they are made of candied fruit and almonds. I decided to take the risk and order it!

I opened the package and was immediately surrounded by the scent of melon. I also saw that melon pieces were on the ingredients list as well. I don’t think I expected melon but I guess I should have, looking at the wikipedia page for calisson again. Anyway, I really like Lupicia’s melon oolong, so it was promising. I also noticed that the leaf was a somewhat odd mixture of long, black tea leaves and CTC pieces. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a blend like that!

I steeped it up with my flavored standard black tea parameters, although I admit I had slight misgivings about the CTC leaf. The cup is dark and smells deliciously like sweet sweet melons and also a little almondy in a cookie-ish way. It is honestly making my mouth water.

I am thinking I may want to steep this for less time or at a cooler temp because there is definitely a hint of bitterness that must be coming from the CTC leaf. However, there is so much sweet melon and candy flavor coming from this that it in some cases completely overwhelms the bitterness. This is one of those cases where I don’t mind that the flavor overwhelms the base! The main note is melon but then there is this distinct nutty, almondy flavor lurking under all.

This is a hard one for me because I do love the flavor combo but I don’t love the base tea. I think it is the same as Lupicia’s Cookie tea (which I have not had), which a lot of people prefer with milk and/or sugar. I can just imagine sitting back with a big sweet, milky pot of this tea and being in heaven really, so I guess there’s something to that. We’ll see how different steep parameters go, otherwise I will just take this one home and enjoy it with additions.