Let’s see how this one goes! Thanks again to Shmiracles for samples of these teas.

I was quite shocked by how many cocoa hulls are in this tea. I swear it is like half hulls and half black tea. As such, it smells soooo chocolatey dry, and also steeped. I steeped this one a bit cooler than I have previously with MF teas, hoping to combat any potential bitterness, although yes, I know, not all of their black bases are the same.

I seem to have a had some success! There is no doubting that this is chocolate! Quite a nice dark chocolate, and the base is smooth. There may be some tiny bitterness here, but it is like the bitterness of fine chocolate, like eating a really dark chocolate bar. Hmmm, I just got a sort of semisweet sip that was quite nice! This really is one of the most authentic chocolate-tasting teas I’ve tried, so major bonus points for that. Unfortunately for me, I’m not the biggest dark chocolate person. I know! I do enjoy it, but I also much prefer milk chocolate… I just don’t like bitter things, even bitter sweet. On the other hand, dark chocolate is better than no chocolate, so I am still enjoying this cup. Thanks again Shmiracles!

Ysaurella

you liked it for a dark chocolate tea, that’s the main point, you managed to brew your Mariage Frères tea in a way you like it.
I definitively need to send you some MF blends in June.I’m sure you’ll find some you would like

Shmiracles

i do think lower temp water is the way to go with these Héritage Gourmand ones. i agree with everything you’ve said so far.

Dinosara

Yes, definitely successful as a chocolate tea, and I definitely enjoyed it. Sometimes it’s all about playing around enough with something to figure it out!

Comments

Ysaurella

Shmiracles

Dinosara

In my free time I am a birder, baker, and music/movie/tv addict.

Here are my rating categories, FYI:
100-90: I’m in LOVE with these teas.
84-80: Tasty teas that I enjoy, but definitely won’t rebuy when I run out.
49 and below: Mega yuck. This tea is just disgusting to me.

Ohio, US