Drank this one yesterday while Steepster was not behaving. One of my favorite things about the Verdant reserve club is the oddities we get… like this one. Wuyi oolongs are always roasted, so one that’s not is really interesting.

I have to say from the dry leaf this smelled to me like a fairly standard wuyi oolong, including some roasty-toastiness. And that’s what I get from the early steeps too… Don’t get me wrong, it comes off like a very nice wuyi oolong, but to me it seems like the others I’ve had. It’s rocky, it’s sweet, and it’s a bit like fall leaves, brown and crackly. It is perhaps not quite as roasty as some others I’ve had, but green and floral like a TGY? Not really. I certainly have an unrefined palate when it comes to these teas, so there is probably some of that coming into play as well. But whether it comes across as unroasted or not, it was definitely a nice oolong.

In my free time I am a birder, baker, and music/movie/tv addict.

Here are my rating categories, FYI:
100-90: I’m in LOVE with these teas.
84-80: Tasty teas that I enjoy, but definitely won’t rebuy when I run out.
49 and below: Mega yuck. This tea is just disgusting to me.

Ohio, US