drank Elégie Pourpre by Dammann Freres
1957 tasting notes

This is the other flavored puerh that I got from Dammann/Instant Thé, besides Pu Erh Gourmand. The flavors on this one are blackberries and vanilla, with heliotrope (which is a flower, but I expect that it may be more for looks). The dry leaf smells very sweet and fruity, I’m going to say like blackberry jam.

Of course immediately upon the water hitting it, the puerh aroma really somes to the foreground. Definitely earthy woody puerh, much like the puerh in the Pu Erh Gourmand. I’m not sure whether my 2 minute steep time made a big difference relative to the Pu Erh Gourmand or not, but the woodiness of the puerh is less prominent in this one. It’s really quite nice. Rich, almost syrupy blackberry with smooth vanilla, and the puerh giving it a slight grounding, earthy tone. It’s really more evident in the aroma than the flavor. I’m not in love, but I’m glad I tried this one out because it is quite tasty.

ashmanra