drank Organic Houjicha by Hibiki-an

Sipdown, 142. Another Sil sample! I don’t know if I’ve ever had a houjicha, so I am interested to try this one. I ended up looking up some steeping parameters from Den’s and roughly following them: 1st steep, boiling for 30 seconds, second, boiling for 15 seconds, third, boiling for 30 seconds.

I was first hit by a roasty scent and a bit of spinachy aroma. This is an interesting tea… It’s roasty, but it’s vegetal. It’s not really like a roasty green oolong, which usually have a hint of floral notes. This isn’t totally my thing, for sure; I’m generally not much on roasty teas, and the intense bean/greens notes in this underneath the roast are also not hitting me right. I think if I wanted that combo of flavors I’d go with a traditional tieguanyin. But I’m glad I got to try this one out.

it’s an interesting tea for sure… not quite yet sure how i feel about it myself

Comments

it’s an interesting tea for sure… not quite yet sure how i feel about it myself

In my free time I am a birder, baker, and music/movie/tv addict.

Here are my rating categories, FYI:
100-90: I’m in LOVE with these teas.
84-80: Tasty teas that I enjoy, but definitely won’t rebuy when I run out.
49 and below: Mega yuck. This tea is just disgusting to me.

Ohio, US