Sipdown, 137. I wanted to try this assam because a lot of people rave about it and it seems to be a pretty classic assam. So thanks to Sil for sending me some to try. I have always thought I didn’t really like assams, but then I started trying them here or there and was unsure. I have to say that if I don’t love this one I will probably give up on most assams, haha.

I’m not sure what to think of this one. I do think it’s funny how some people say things about certain teas like “this one never ever gets bitter!” Do we have different definitions of bitter? Because I do find this one to be bitter when steeped at these parameters. I’m not sure what other flavors I’m getting… a hint of malt, but I don’t find it super malty, some other flavor I can’t quite identify. After one small cup I also kind of felt a little ill, so I think straight strong assam and my stomach doesn’t really get along (even though it’s not on an empty stomach!). I had this reaction to the Antarctic Expedition Blend the other day as well. Super bold teas, maybe not for me.

Anyway, I added milk and a bit of maple to smooth it out. It works a bit better for me, but I’m not in love with it. I think the only assam I like are the Taiwanese varietals.

In my free time I am a birder, baker, and music/movie/tv addict.

Here are my rating categories, FYI:
89-86: I really really like these teas and will keep most of them in the permanent collection, but they’re not quite as spectacular as the top category
85-80: Pretty tasty teas that I enjoy well enough, but definitely won’t rebuy when I run out.
49 and below: Mega yuck. This tea is just disgusting to me.

Ohio, US