My pancake breakfast tea finally arrived yesterday! This is my first order from 52 Teas, and I was lucky enough to get one of the packets added after they pouched all the tea up. I just couldn’t resist! I’ve been thinking about maple in tea; I love that flavor and would like to have it in a tea, but it’s not all that common. Hence this one was a must try!

The dried leaves smell powerfully like pancakes and most of all maple syrup. I was unsure of the brewing parameters on this one, so I looked at the reviews here; they’re kind of all over the place, but I decided to go less-than-boiling and a shorter time to start out. My liquor ended up a dark reddish brown, and the aroma of the brewed tea seems to be primarily the black tea with some buttery, pancakey scents; I’m a little sad the maple has decreased a lot in the aroma. Like some others, I’m mostly getting black tea in the flavor, with the buttery pancake with a hint of maple sweetness in the aftertaste. I don’t like sweetening my tea, so I don’t want to have to do that to bring the pancake flavors out, but maybe I’ll brew it longer next time and see if that helps. Still a pleasant tea, but I like my tea a little more strongly flavored.