drank Quangzhou Milk Oolong by DAVIDsTEA

And here’s my second-ever milk oolong. DaisyChubb was kind enough to send me a sample of this in a swap, and I’m excited to try another one! The dry leaf on this smells more sugary-creamy and less buttery than the ATR, though there’s definitely some butter-cream note in there. I can also catch whiffs of a vegetal note at times.

I steeped this tea basically according to the directions on the DavidsTea site, but I will say I looked through the tasting notes first and wow do people steep this one with wildly varying parameters! Their directions are perhaps a little longer (4-7 min) than I would steep a green oolong normally, and it is both longer and hotter than I steeped the ATR (following their directions). I had a little more leaf than I would normally use, so I decided to drop the steep time so that I didn’t overwhelm the cup. After steeping the tea smells very floral, almost like some orchid oolongs I’ve had, creamy and buttery with a fruity undertone.

This is a pretty tasty tea, floral and vegetal and a touch fruity. I just reread the product description where they describe a “subtle hint of orchid”… I definitely agree on the orchid, but I don’t think it’s very subtle! That’s fine with me, but it means I identify it more with orchid oolongs than the milk oolong I’ve had. There is a smoothness and butteriness, but the creamy milk flavor is fairly light. It does grow a bit as the tea cools, as does the sweetness, which gives it a slight condensed-milk flavor in the aftertaste. If I had never had ATR’s Milk Oolong I might have rated this into the 90s, honestly. I still find it delicious and absolutely would very happily drink it any time.

The Purrfect Cup

This is one of my top three favorite oolongs out there. In fact I may or may not have three unopened pouches of it in my kitchen at the moment. :) I don’t get the orchid flavoring. To me it is a very smooth and creamy flavor with the floral/vegetal hints at the end. I’ll have to sample it a few more times and see if the orchid flavor comes out to play.

Amariel

This is the tea that I got most with the $1 straight tea promo that just ended.

Dinosara

That’s so interesting! Some teas seem to be like that… everyone tastes different things. I did think this tea was really delicious, and if I had easy access to a DavidsTea I would likely keep it in stock, even! Scratch that, I just looked at the DavidsTea website and there is apparently a store opening soon in NYC about a block away from my favorite record store in the village. Guess I will get a chance to buy more of this tea and try it out again.

Comments

The Purrfect Cup

Amariel

This is the tea that I got most with the $1 straight tea promo that just ended.

Dinosara

In my free time I am a birder, baker, and music/movie/tv addict.

Here are my rating categories, FYI:
100-90: I’m in LOVE with these teas.
84-80: Tasty teas that I enjoy, but definitely won’t rebuy when I run out.
49 and below: Mega yuck. This tea is just disgusting to me.

Ohio, US