drank Milk Oolong by thepuriTea
1911 tasting notes

Of course I’ve wanted to try this one for a while now, so I was glad when it came back in stock after being out of stock for so long, and even more glad when I got a fantastic deal on samples on cyber monday. I finally got airtight pouches that I can put this tea in after I open my sample pack, so I was finally able to break into this one. A lot of people really love this tea, so my expectations are high!

The dry tea smells much like other milk oolongs I’ve tried, with that buttery, creamy, slightly caramely, condensed milk aroma. I have to admit that I’m busy and was distracted drinking this one, so maybe it wasn’t the best conditions for a review, but also it kind of says something that I was able to somewhat distractedly drink this one. I wasn’t wowed. The flavors are a little weak, so I’m wondering if a steep temp closer to what I usually use for oolongs (~195°F), or a longer steep time would improve it. What’s there is nice… a little buttery, a little peachy-creamy, with a nice sweet taste, but I just can’t really get excited about it. It doesn’t blow me away like I was expecting. I have a decent sized sample, so maybe another time.

Spoonvonstup

It’s always both hard and exciting to see how other people have thought of a tea you’re about to try. I still don’t know if I prefer having expectations and an idea of what I should be tasting, or if it would be better to go in blind. Have high hopes probably means I’ll taste it more carefully.. (if I’m looking for good things, I’m more likely to find them). But then I might get let down, as you did here. Oh well- I guess being on Steepster betrays my preference. If I didn’t want to know what I was getting into, I wouldn’t read everyone’s notes!

I’ll have to get back into trying Milk Oolongs. I’ve always just defaulted to TGY, and haven’t tried any apart from some perfectly-drinkable-but-not-special examples at a local teahouse.

Dinosara

Yeah, I definitely read through tasting notes before I try a tea (or while I’m trying it) and try to find flavors that others have had and see how my experience compares to theirs. There are definitely times when I feel like the odd man out, hah.

My favorite Milk Oolong is the one from American Tea Room, but it is stupidly expensive. But so so good!

Comments

Spoonvonstup

Dinosara

In my free time I am a birder, baker, and music/movie/tv addict.

Here are my rating categories, FYI:
49 and below: Mega yuck. This tea is just disgusting to me.

Ohio, US