There’s a split between “David’s Tea” and “DavidsTea”, I notice. According to their website, it’s actually “DAVIDsTEA Inc.” Could you put these together, maybe set up an alternate name in the database, perhaps?
If anyone’s bored out there, I’m trying to move as many “David’s Tea” listings to “DavidsTea” as possible. Though someone with database access will have to handle the ones that need to be merged. :)
Drop Jason a note about this or Ricky if you can…actually…I can…I will drop them notes now! LOL :)
Let’s figure this out over email. You can email me at email@example.com. Thanks!
Thanks Jason! I don’t even know if you got my email yet! LOL – That was FAST!!!
Sounds like you’re on top of it, really. :) http://www.davidstea.com/ is the website for the company. It’s kinda forked into two in Steepster.
There is still a split.
I’ve noticed this situation a couple times when I’m trying to update my cupboard or post a review. I guess we can ‘fix’ these pretty easily by editing teas listed under extraneous duplicates (i.e. standardizing vendor)? Might take a bit of work if there’s a large number of records under a different spelling.
I change them manually to the most popular/accepted tea company spelling. If there is a tea duplicate under two company name variations, you’ll have to email both to Jason so he can merge the reviews and ratings. Once teas have been moved over and duplicates merged, you also have to report the empty duplicate tea companies for removal, or else they’ll continue to pop up in the autocomplete forum when people add a new tea (perpetuating the problem).
I’m newly registered, so I don’t have access to change anything.
I’ve sent to Jason a couple I’ve found. Actually have Twinings 6 different company spellings.
Hey there, another newbie! Running into some issues getting my collection in my cupboard. It’d be nice to have these two merged, as I’m keeping them both open in tabs as I explore, and already duplicated one tea (whoops).