The Persimmon Tree's Fun Tea Facts
“If a man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty.”
“In the common parlance we speak of the man ‘with no tea’ in him,
when he is insusceptible to the seriocomic interests of the personal drama.
Again we stigmatize the untamed aesthete who, regardless of the mundane tragedy,
runs riot in the springtide of emancipated emotions, as one ‘with too much tea’ in him.”
Okakura Kakuzo (1863-1913), Japanese scholar
We love discovering new and unfamiliar flavors and we want to share with you the benefits of yerba maté tea, a tea that’s as interesting as its name suggests.
Yerba Maté Tea comes from a species of Holly that is native to subtropical South America. When brewed the flavor tastes vegetal, herbal, and grassy. To get this taste from a perfect brew you must steep the dry leaves and twigs of the maté plant in hot water instead of boiling water.
This tea has many benefits that other teas do not. You can reduce the chance of cardiovascular diseases by drinking yerba maté infusions. It has been seen that this tea decreases the amount of low-density lipoprotein, which are “bad cholesterol” particles. In addition, it increases high-density lipoprotein that can remove cholesterol from the blood stream. The amino acids and antioxidants in this tea help this cholesterol and fat move through the system therefore not connecting to the artery walls.
There are five other benefits to yerba maté tea:
1. It’s richness in antioxidants boosts the immune system. Also, it has about 90% more antioxidants than green tea. Antioxidants can also reduce signs of aging, stress and insomnia.
2. The ability to focus comes easier. There is an increase in mental energy and clarity without the side effects of headaches or jitters.
3. It affects the metabolism to use your carbohydrates more effectively. Physical endurance is enhanced because more energy is extracted from food. Yerba maté tea also keeps lactic acid from building up therefore workout recovery happens sooner.
4. The tea improves digestion. It aids digestion by stimulating the production of bile and gastric acids. In addition, it helps the colon clean and helps reduce stomach bacteria that contribute to bad breath.
5. Weight control is the fifth benefit. Qualities in this tea help you feel full sooner once eating has begun. It curbs your appetite slightly and helps you eat less.
Try out some yerba maté for yourself and see what it can do for you.