Welcome to Steepster, an online tea community.

Write a tea journal, see what others are drinking and get recommendations from people you trust. or Learn More

Emilie said

Please help me identify this thing for brewing tea

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Dkenq
I was given this today. It’s obviously for brewing tea, but I’m not sure exactly what it is and I don’t want to mess it up. Are there any special ways to use it, or should I only use certain teas? Is it basically a teapot? Thanks!

8 Replies

It seems to be a tea mug with extra cups. I have used similar mugs like tea pots with no problems. I would just put the tea in the steeper, place it in the mug, then pour the water over to fill.

Emilie said

Great! That’s what I assumed, but I haven’t had one like this so I wanted to make sure before I did anything crazy. Thanks

Login or sign up to post a message.

52teas said

Looks like a gaiwan with a handle and some extra cups. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaiwan

Emilie said

Aren’t gaiwans supposed to be small though? It looks about twice the size of all the ones I’ve seen.

Login or sign up to post a message.

ashmanra said

It is lovely!

Login or sign up to post a message.

Very large gaiwan for two. Certainly is nice looking.

Login or sign up to post a message.

mrmopar said

looks like a steeping cup with the filter and 2 smaller cups to serve it in.

Kittenna said

Agreed. I think I’ve seen people use just the large cup before…

Login or sign up to post a message.

Login or sign up to leave a comment.