Alysha was kind enough to send me some of this tea.

Dry, it smelled mostly of black tea, with hints of a mapley nature. Once brewed the maple notes stand out more, as does a buttery aspect.

Taste-wise, I pick up a stronger black tea aspect than the smell would point to, which is interesting. Luckily it isn’t bitter! That combined with the subtle buttery flavors as well as the light maple notes makes for a pretty good breakfast tea. I don’t think I’m getting a big pancake vibe, as the aspects are a little too subtle to combine that way, but it is tasty. It’s slightly sweet and surprisingly smooth.

Overall, I’m glad I got to try this one. I’m also glad I still have enough for two more cups! Might have some for “breakfast” tomorrow.

NOTE: I like this one better cooled off a bit – the buttery aspects come through a bit stronger that way. When it’s too hot, all I get is black tea.

Alysha

I had a similar experience. I didn’t find it that pancake-y either, so I figured I would try it again with more leaf. I wish they listed their steeping/measurement parameters!

Emily M

Me too! It can be tough trying to figure it out on your own.
I wouldn’t say this one was bad, just wasn’t what I was expecting. Gonna play with the time/amount a bit on the next cup.

52 tea blacks tend to be best in the 2-2.5 mark with water just under boiling (or boiled then cooled a little) or at least so far that i’ve found..

Emily M

Yeah, I think the 2 min mark has worked best for MOST black blends I’ve tried. Otherwise I risk bitterness.

Comments

Alysha

Emily M

Me too! It can be tough trying to figure it out on your own.

I’ve found I Prefer:

Oolong Teas
White Teas
Smooth Black Teas
Flavored White Teas
Flavored Black Teas (depending on the base tea)
Flavored Oolong Teas
Pu-erh’s
Certain Herbals/Tisanes

I’ve found I Dislike:

Bitterness/Astringent Teas
Strong Floral Teas
Fruit Tisanes (at least hot)

That being said, I’ll give anything a shot!

Happy steeping!